Thursday, 28 September 2006

Today I happend to me for the n-th time! When I have tried to "Get Latest Version" on my solution I got the following message:

Microsoft Visual Studio
Unexpected error encountered. It is recommended that you restart the application as soon as possible.

Error: Unspecified error

File: vsee\lib\path\cvapipath.cpp

Line number: 2459

Of course we have done nothing unusual today. Adding some projects, changing some files etc. All this stuff made using Visual Studio 2005.

As I've mentioned this is not the first time it has happened to me so I thought I knew what to do. I have tried all the hacks that worked previously from deleting the solution file, through deleting the projects that I have found to be causing the problem to getting the files from the computer where it works. Unfortunatelly this time the "standard" procedure has not worked. Strangely enought I was able to commit changes made to the project that caused the problem.

I have been unable to find anything helpful on the internet other than the fact that I'm not alone with this issue.

As the last effort I thought I delete a ".suo" file for my solution. It was a desperate move but it worked! Wow! So basically now if you have any problems with Visual Studio that appear from nowhere, try the .suo file first :-)

As a side note: I have noticed that the new way ASP.NET projects i.e.: no project file, just directory, is a nightmare for source control tools. I have tried Subversion some time ago and the AnkhSVN plugin which in the newest version is said to support the Web Projects but I was a pain setting it up and it does work after all. What is worse is that even Microsoft's own products have problems with Web Projects! Since I remember I have always had problems with SourceSafe and ASP.NET. Be it ASP.NET 1.1 and Visual Studio 2003 or ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 - always there are problems!

kick it on